Text from Sue Cathey's email dated June 14, 2011 regarding Stage 2 Water Use Restrictions effective June 14, 2011:
Effective June 14, 2011, Possum Kingdom Water Supply is initiating Stage II of our Drought Contingency Plan and will remain in place until further notice. Stage I was not implemented as the sudden usage has exceeded the criteria for that level. The dry weather conditions have led to increased irrigation of lawns and landscaping as well as additional water usage which is severely impacting water availability. The storage levels have been at or below 50% since June 10, and recovery to acceptable levels has been slower than normal due to the high usage.
We are in the process of upgrading the capacity of the water treatment plant from one (1) to two (2) million gallons per day, but this construction will not be completed until the middle of July. When completed our capacity concerns will be resolved for quite some time, but until then we must have your full cooperation to insure potable water is available for normal usage.
The goal is to limit total treated water use to less than 850,000 gallons per day. This equates to usage of about 12,000 gallons per month per meter. During this time you may experience temporary pressure reductions which will improve as our levels improve.
Water Use Restrictions in Place Until Rescinded:
- Residential and commercial yard watering is restricted to the period from 10:00 p.m. to 8 a.m. any day of the week.
- Residential washing of vehicles is limited to that done by the use of a garden hose equipped with an automatic shut-off device.
- Washing of driveways, sidewalks, parking areas, windows or structures is prohibited.
- Watering of public properties is restricted to Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 12 noon.
- Violations of any of these restrictions or residential usage of 20,000 gallons or more per billing period for two consecutive billing periods is subject to a fine of up to $100.00 per violation.
- Residential Water Rate Structure to Reflect on Bills Issued July 20, 2011:
a. 0-10,000 gallons no rate change - $3.16 per 1,000 gallons
b. 10,000 – 20,000 gallons 1.5 times current rate - $6.24 per 1,000 gallons
c. 20,000 – 30,000 gallons 2.5 times current rate - $13.63 per 1,000 gallons
d. 30,000 + gallons 3.5 times current rate - $19.08 per 1,000 gallons
Your cooperation is appreciated and should eliminate the need to move to Stage III which is much more restrictive. You will be notified when these restrictions are removed.
If you have any questions, please call the office or e-mail me at email@example.com. If you received this e-mail in error, please respond accordingly.